City Information

Utilitarian Lighting

Where requested, a new utilitarian light may be installed if the location meets the following criteria:

1. There is an existing wooden utility pole at the requested location.

2. There is no other street light within 300 feet, or, The location is at an unlighted intersection with a wooden utility pole.

3. The utility pole must not be on private property. If the utility pole is on private property please call the Department of Water and Power at (800) 342-5397 (1-800-DIAL-DWP) for information on the Outdoor Area Lighting Program.

4. The request is to light a public right-of-way (street, sidewalk or alley)

5. A new light may require the signatures of the four closest property owners to the proposed new light.

6. If you have any questions regarding utilitarian lighting please call the Department of Water and Power at (800) 342-5397 (1-800-DIAL-DWP) .

An alternative is Electrolier lighting – installation of street lighting on concrete or steel poles, of either modern or ornamental style, that could provide complete lighting for the street and sidewalk for the entire block. More information regarding cost, types of equipment, and required steps of such a project, may be obtained by contacting the Community Service Division of the Bureau of Street Lighting at (213) 847-1456.
LA County Land Use and Zoning web site:  .
Los Angeles Good Neighbor Laws
Information on Speed Humps
How to obtain a water Sub-Meter

Councilman Mitch Englander Web Site:

Councilman Smith Letter to SFHOA –  Kudos from Greg Smith